Credit Card Fraud Warning

I received a voicemail, then text then a call to my home phone from the bank to call them. I verified the number was legit and contacted the bank. They didn't ask any questions but were able to verify my recent transactions so were genuine. However twenty minutes prior to the call someone had placed an order on Play.com for £500 using my details. Luckily for me the bank had the sense to block the transaction and contact me. I had to cancel my card. I decided to contact Play.com to tell them what had happened and after some cross referencing they could see that an order had been placed on a very recently created account using my bank details, but a different delivery address. The customer services lady was a bit shocked when she then cross referenced the delivery address to find that six other orders using other peoples details had also been placed today for delivery to that address. Unfortunately for those people it looks as if the transactions had at that point completed. Play.com were very grateful for my calling them as they could stop the deliveries and hopefully let the other card holders know. The issue here is that somehow these details had been leaked, most likely from a hack against either their own or more likely another online vendors system. I wonder how long this will take to be found. I immediately accessed all my accounts for various vendors, removed all card details and changed credentials. I know this was not a phishing attack as I never click on or use anything sent in an email. So be warned.... I now have something else to add to my list of things to follow up...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

configuring the zmodo ZP-IBi-13W camera to work with Blue Iris Software.

Apple MAC Fake Virus Alert

Movie Magic