My spyware issue update





I have been doing a lot more research into the spyware issue I had and it seems to be a rogue AV trojan. Basically here are the symptoms:

SYMPTOMS

Constant popups warning of issues on my PC (See pics above courtesy of www.geekpolice.net)
Inability yo run task manager
Inability to run any installers or av software
Inability to run just about any applications without errors.

The warnings of rogue IP addresses attacking me were quickly rumbled after they continued after my internet connection was disconnected. Still the trojan was a real pain in the ass. Being from a security background I never fully trust a machine after it has been infected so I always rebuild as I mentioned in a previous post.

CURE

If you do not want to carry out a rebuild then you are going to need to be very thorough and very patient with this one.

If you have other user profiles on the PC you may be able to login using a different user and then run your scanning tools from there.

If not then rebooting in safe mode will enable you to run superantispyware for example. I tried spybot S&D but could not get it to work in safe mode. This particular spyware adds a bunch of registry keys and adds files to your system directories

There is loads of information on the internet regarding these spyware types
and you are basically going to need to try each technique to find the exact one that works for you. I would advise against using any software recommended on these sites unless you are 100% sure about it's authenticity. (Including any auto ads linked from this site).

Remember: Just visiting and browsing around a dodgy site could be enough to introduce this problem into your PC.

google bankerfox.A for loads more info. I am going to build a spare pc and place it on a dmz interface off my LAN and try to pick this malware up again so I can do a lot more investigation. Just need to remember where I have been to speed up the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

configuring the zmodo ZP-IBi-13W camera to work with Blue Iris Software.

Apple MAC Fake Virus Alert

Evolution